Friday, February 25, 2011

A New Beer – Well’s Banana Bread Beer

 Standing in front of the beer cooler, I searched for something new to try. I’ve seen this Wells Banana Bread Beer before and have always though “ewwww.” I really love bananas, but I really hate banana flavoring. You know, Runts and other banana candies. Gross! This time, I saw this beer and figured I might as well give it a try. I mean, I love banana bread, so why not?

DSC00386 

Having no idea who Wells is (is that bad?), I looked up their website and found out that Wells and Young’s also makes Young’s Chocolate Stout. Okay, that makes sense. But, they also make Red Stripe and Kirin Ichiban? I’m so confused.

DSC00390 

So, how was the beer? I liked it. I didn’t love it, but it was good. After opening the bottle, the banana bread smell is immediately apparent. It smells pretty darn good too! The color is a beautiful gold. The aroma was still strong and delicious in the glass. After being pretty impressed by the smell and color, I was slightly disappointed by the taste. I was expecting a little more depth of flavor. I drank the beer while it was still pretty ice cold though, so maybe I should have let the bottle sit out for a while so that more flavors could come out. Luckily, I didn’t notice any artificial banana flavoring.

DSC00393

I would recommend buying this beer and perhaps splitting it with someone just for the experience. I wouldn’t buy a six pack of it for myself, but it is truly a unique tasty beer!

3 comments:

  1. This definitely sounds like an interesting beer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. well, I love Red Stripe and Kirin! who knew.....
    thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness. This is quite a coincidence. Joshua and I went to Fathead's Brewery in Cleveland on Sunday for my friend's birthday. They had a banana beer, and I didn't order it. I explained to Josh how much I love bananas and how much I despise fake banana flavor...the Runts are the worst! I settled on the Bumbleberry Honey Blueberry Ale, which was so delish. (:

    ReplyDelete