Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Soups!

As I mentioned before, I am having a love affair with soups. Here are two of my store bought favorites.

#1 - Tom Yam soup from Trader Joe's. Oh. This was amazing. It was frozen, and you had to thaw the broth (spicy coconut milk and other deliciousness) then add the spinach and mushroom dumplings. It also came with kaffir lime leaves, chili peppers, and lemongrass. You couldn't eat them though. Impossible.

The dumplings were so chewy and tasty. The broth was perfectly spicy and very sour. According to some websites I looked up, Tom Yam (or Tom Yum) is used to cure colds and other ailments. Although apparently authentic Tom Yam doesn't use coconut milk - only a fish sauce broth. This soup was vegetarian though and I thought it was wonderful the way it was. I mistakenly thought you could eat the lemongrass (those tan ovals) but there's no way. It's like eating wood. Very flavorful wood.
The soup was so cheap too, low on calories, made a very hefty amount, and can be made if you don't have a microwave (I don't). Next time I'm there, I'm totally stocking up.
Thank you, TJ's, thank you.


#2 - Annie Chun's Miso Soup. Awesome! These are not my pictures, by the way. I ate this soup at work, and cameras are eeeeevil at work. Not allowed. Illegal. Dangerous. Secret-telling.
Anyway, this soup was fantastic. Perfect for my 3AM lunch.
I was very worried at first. I opened up the container and there were noodles, miso paste, and a strange green packing peanut-like cube. This didn't stop me. Add water, microwave, and voila! Miso soup! 


The packing peanut thing dissolved and transformed into tofu cubes, scallions, and either kale or spinach or something similar. The miso flavoring was delish. The soup also did that "thing" like real miso soup where the particles settle, then you stir it and the broth becomes  more opaque again. You know what I mean. Whatever.
The noodles were awesome. Chewy, long, and tasty. Very slurpy soup, so I recommend eating with other people who are also eating it, or just eat it alone.
This soup was relatively low in sodium, which is pretty rare. I wouldn't exactly call it low sodium, but at about 800 mg, it was a lot better than your typical 2200 mg pre-packaged soups.


Now, anyone know if you can drink almond milk that sat out for 10 hours? I mean...it's non-dairy...
Oops.

No comments:

Post a Comment