Monday, May 2, 2011

Glamour Salmon – Return of the Trader Joe’s Cookbook

 Last night I got to make another recipe from my awesome Trader Joe’s cookbook from Lisa. I haven’t really been cooking for myself lately…just eating crackers and hummus for dinner, etc., so this was a nice change to have a real meal. Well…it was a real meal until it was getting late and I didn’t cook any sides with it. But still, I actually used the oven!

I’ve had these salmon fillets in my freezer for quite a while. I like them because they seem to be frozen when they’re very fresh, and the skin is still on them. Cheap too!

DSC00667 

I used this very simple recipe that the author found in a Glamour magazine years ago. (If it’s illegal to have this picture up, someone please let me know and I’ll take it down – I’m not really sure if that’s a copyright infringement or anything).

DSC00668 

I definitely didn’t plan this ahead, so I had to use the trusty running cold water to thaw method. It works!

DSC00669 

While the salmon thawed, I made the super easy and delicious sauce. I added honey to a bowl…

DSC00670 

then soy sauce…

DSC00671 

a few drops of sesame oil…

DSC00672 

the juice of a half of a lemon, and red pepper flakes.

DSC00673 

The sauce was really great at this point, but I also added garlic powder and fresh ginger.

DSC00674 

I let the sauce soak in the salmon for a few minutes before baking it at 400 degrees for about 10 minutes. The thin end of the fillet was done way before the middle, so I cut it off (then ate it), and cut the rest into three pieces so the middle could get done a little bit more. It’s so hard to find that balance between undercooked and overcooked – especially with fish that varies in thickness.

DSC00675 

Very very good!! I poured the rest of the sauce on the salmon, which was great for dipping too. The fish was done perfectly, which rarely happens to me. It was flakey, moist, and amazing with the sauce! I can see this classic sauce being great with tofu, chicken, or other veggies and meats. Yay for success!

DSC00678

1 comment:

  1. I love how simple the salmon marinade is but it seems super flavorful!

    ReplyDelete